Old 12-22-20, 08:27 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by tNuvolari
it's just a bit tricky to maintain a line through a curve as the bike feels twitchy. But on the other hand, it is even more difficult to change my line once into the curve. The bike doesn't seem to want to listen and I often end up outside of the proper line which just causes awkwardness. I like to ride fast and take curves as fast as possible, both in everyday driving and on the bike. In a car, I have no trouble changing lines in the middle of the curve depending on traction or changes that occur once into the curve so I think I understand weight distribution, the proper line, differences in front to rear braking, and understeer & oversteer (although I'm not sliding and the these are more for a car, there is still some sensation of these factors on a bike.)
So, not sure if that's just the way it is or if I can learn to control it better. I'm getting more confident with it but it is definitely tricky to just choose a line and fly through the turns and the slower the speed, the worse it is as it just brings out the twitchiness of the bike. This is exactly the same as my Torpado so maybe it's an Italian .
Honestly, having ridden a similar Willier Zero 7, which if anything would have lighter quicker steering, at race pace descending in both the Rockies and the Appalachian mountains, I think what you’re describing is more on you than the bike.

Google countersteering. If you initiate your turn by consciously pressing down on the inside bar, you can set a smooth continuous line simply by maintaining that pressure, and you can alter the line if needed by simply adding or removing pressure.

The fact that you have the same experience with both bikes, suggests that this is a technique issue, or that your just not comfortable with a quick handling bike, and would be better off with a bike with slower handling, ie on with more trail