View Single Post
Old 01-07-21, 06:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
For further education while it's soaking-
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

These prevent a bit of a dilemma for first timers.
You NEED something to retain the tool well.
However, when the FW starts to unthread it tightens against the retainer. Unbelievably tight if not careful.
Once the FW starts to unthread, stop. Readjust your "retainer". You'll have to back it off a little bit.
The thread pitch is so fine on a FW, it acts like a strong screw jack. Add the force of a long wrench....
You may need to repeat a time of 2 before things start to loosen up.
I use a 1" box wrench for the tool. It's less likely to slip then an adjustable or open end wrench. You really don't want to use a "cheater"pipe on an adjustable wrench. They are designed for convenience, not strength.
I had to take a small triangular file and "open up" the box a bit. It seems the flat "junctions" on the PARK removal tool are a bit too "peaky" to slide in the tool.
It was a matter of opening up the wrench or grind down 6 "points" on each of the 5 or 6 removal tools I have. They're too hard to file without a disproportionate amount of work and I didn't have a grinder at the time.