Old 01-11-21, 01:00 PM
impolexg

Bikes: Kona Raijin, Ibis Tranny 29, Cannondale SR1000, Lynskey R330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
It's all about the welds. I also have an Airborne Ti and one of the reasons they went out of business is that the weld (frames assembled in China) quality was hit and miss. I think my Valkyrie was done on a good day with one of their better welders. Others weren't quite so lucky.
At a endurance race in the pouring rain and mud I saw a Moots rear chainstay detach from the bb shell about 5 miles from the finish. Guy's race was over. They sure have a good reputation and I'm sure they'll take care of him.

My ti lynskey developed a crack at the base of the seatpost expansion slot, I think because my easton seatpost had a flat face at that point. I called around locally and people wanted > $1k to fix. Lynskey offered to replace my seattube for ~300. Rather than mail the frame in I got a thomson post and a deeper seatpost clamp from Engin Cycles and crack hasn't grown in > 1 year, but if it grows I'll send it in.

I've had my kona hei hei since new, its lived on my trainer now for 6 years and is crusted with salt but no corrosion. I've had to replace steel stem bolts because they were exploding with rust.

I'm a big fan of Ti but a lot of hype is just false. I think best is to try and buy from someone that will support you down the line.
Likes For impolexg: