Old 01-11-21, 04:28 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Thanks. I told him I didn't expect him to remember everything I showed him but that somewhere down the road he'd remember it. Kid is smart he's been getting straight A's in school all school year so far. He was asking lots of questions about how the derailleurs and brakes work. I think we have a future engineer in the family. Yeah, he's pretty proud, not just of his new bike but that he helped put it together. When the bike is just a memory he's still have that feeling of accomplishment to call up.
Well, there's periodic maintenance on such bikes that I'm sure he'll get a kick out of learning how to do. Tube repair, brake pad swap and tuning, cable swap along with derailleur tuning. All good future mini-projects you can do with him.

As for the memories: he'll probably always remember doing it all with grandpa, as well. And that's a memory that won't easily fade. (I remember the sprinkler system I put in with grandpa, along with digging all the holes for the new trees getting planted. Won't mention the toilet swap, as I've blocked out that one, but all the rest were 'priceless.' Funny what you learn as a kid, when you've got a handyman for a grandpa.)

Your next project: see if you can keep ahead of the guy, once he gets completely comfortable on the thing. An increasingly tough challenge, I suspect. Enjoy every precious moment.
Likes For Clyde1820: