View Single Post
Old 07-15-17, 03:29 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anti-Bike Societal Attitude in USA. Why?

As a non-citizen, I love and appreciate many aspects of US Culture than those of you who grew up with it take for granted. There is a reason why great institutions like Silicon Valley, Hollywood and heck even Disneyland are in the US not in Europe, China etc. It's the amazing attitude of the people that grew and allow these institution to thrive.

So I can't fathom why so many in an advanced country are so anti-bike? A bike keeps you fit, improves your mental health and produces no carbon emissions (well maybe some if I fuel my ride with a bean burrito).

Now I'm not talking about drivers on roads, there are crazies and inconsiderate people everywhere. Rather I'm talking about ***society's attitude*** to bike riders. Just in the last 3 months how anti-bike the country is was really revealed to me.

I've had people tell me off for putting lube on my chain on the side walk (I will damage the side walk). I've had hotel workers tell me they can't store my bike (despite there being no outside bike racks). I've had restaurants say not to chain up my bike outside there establishment etc. The list goes on and on. The sheer number of these incidents indicate its an attitude not limited to a few people rather a societal attitude.

So why is it? Is it because the car culture is so strong or is it something more subtle like that people who ride bikes are generally poor and the poor don't deserve respect?