Old 11-14-19, 10:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yesterday, I took the subway to class because it was still damn cold and windy, and the previous night was a bitter memory. After class, I had to cross town for a rehearsal, and public transit would have been annoying and slow, and the distance wasn't great, so I grabbed Citi Bike. The weather was still unpleasant, but it was OK. After rehearsal, I definitely didn't want to ride Citi Bike six miles in the cold, so I took the subway home.

Today I got that feeling I have had in previous winters "cycling in the cold is too damned hard" but I knew my mind was playing tricks with me. So I decided to ride. Besides, it's a little warmer and a lot less windy today. I decided to take my Lemond racing bike with 650b tires. The rear tire was flat, so I took the tube out and didn't find a leak. Pumped it back up, and it's OK. I couldn't find my mild winter weather gloves or my tubular scarf, dammit. I wore summer gloves, but my hands started hurting during the ride, so I put on my harsh winter weather gloves that I had brought. The ride was really fine, and I can't figure out why I'm so much faster on my racing bike. Maybe the saddle position favors me and I should duplicate it on my regular commuting bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.