Old 01-03-20, 09:44 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
UPDATE: The "reprogramming" process is moving forward. I have reduced my bike workouts to 4 per week (from 6) -- 3 of them with high intensity intervals and one longer ride. Why am I still doing high intensity intervals? Because I see my friends (who don't do interval workouts) declining at an accelerating pace. One friend is ten years younger and even he is declining pretty fast. On New Years Day, the group was trundling along at about 12.5 mph and I was stuck in zone 1 -- just barely above resting heart rate. I can't do it. (I had to ride on in order to complete my planned metric before sunset.) In order to slow the inevitable decline, I will keep doing high intensity workouts when nobody else is riding with me. And to ride with my long-time friends, I will mount 38mm tires on my gravel bike for those group rides. That way I can get my power / heart rate up into zone 2 at the pace they are comfortable with.

But going to 4 bike workouts per week allows me to separate bike workout days from gym workout days. Doing just one workout per day almost feels like every day is a light day.

I set my 2020 mileage goal at just 2/3 what my annual mileage has been for as long as I remember. The last time my mileage was this low, I had shoulder reconstruction surgery followed by knee surgery. I had months off the bike that year.

And finally, because I suspect I will get cranky with so little activity after the weather turns nice, I decided to get another time-consuming hobby. I decided to learn to play piano. Should have done it decades ago.
Likes For FlashBazbo: