View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 12:05 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Interesting story...maybe to some. The only visit I've made to Shiner was when I rode the Shiner Ride in 2014, from Austin to Shiner. I connected on BF with a guy named Chuck, who wanted to put a group together to do this annual century ride to celebrate his 75th birthday. I got two of my riding buddies to sign up and two others from BF joined also. Chuck and his family even had an event jersey's made with the company he founded, Alarm Masters. I still wear the jersey on rides because it's mostly white and a good summer weight.

We met up the night before the ride at a local Italian restaurant to carb-load and then at the start the next morning. The six of us set off together but there were no expectations of riding as a group. My friends and I rode off and finished the ride 6 hours later. It got pretty hot and there was a strong headwind for the last 30 miles. We arrived, connected with Chuck's family on the Shiner Brewery property, got our free food and beer and then sat with the family awaiting Chuck's arrival. Chuck was having a tough time of it, having to stop every few miles to rest...but he wouldn't give up. Finally, about 2 hours after our arrival, Chuck crossed the line with a grin on his face and even had the presence of mind to reach out and grab the finisher's medal that was being offered as he finished.

I got an e-mail from Chuck's son two years ago telling me that while preparing to ride a century for his 80th birthday, Chuck was hit and killed by a car while out on a training ride. From what I could gather, Chuck went to make a u-turn on a 2-lane highway, not realizing a car was approaching from behind.

That was one of my more memorable cycling events. After the ride, I received a framed certificate commemorating the event. It's hanging on the wall of my home office.

Chuck's son, who now runs the business, hands him an iced towel.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Likes For dstrong: