Old 10-24-18, 02:28 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
It's hard to tell from the photos in the ad, but it could be a Torpado product.

Looking at the pics at full resolution and considering the rough appearance of the paint on the head tube, I'd say it's most likely a repaint.

The only thing that's making me think it might be something other than an ItalVega is the seat stay caps. I don't think I've ever seen an ItalVega with those long, flat caps. Long, scalloped ones, yes (like on the Superlights and Super Speciales). If anyone has an example of those caps on an ItalVega, I'd love to see a pic.

Verifying the bottom bracket threading and presence of a serial number would help clear things up a bit.
Here's pics of my 72 and 73 Italvega Super Speciale bikes. They all have long flat chromed caps on the seat stays. Also, the Super Record of 74-76 has a similar frame with chromed flat caps. Early 70-73 Nuovo Records, Gran Rally, and Gran Turismo models also had long flat painted unchromed seat stay caps.

The long scalloped "Biconal" caps appeared on the 73-76 Superlights and Super Speciales (basically same frame, Superlights had drilled components) and were Pearl White, mist green, mist blue metallic, and mist silver.