JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Be sure to mock up your design before you commit. I have my bikes 'packed tight' like that, one level, using front wheel stands. OK for the front wheels facing outwards though you have to be particular about pedal position as the cranks rotate as you slot them back into place and they all get tangled if you're not careful.

For the bikes with the front wheels towards the back, the handlebars in the front are so close together they obstruct the handlebars of the others. No worries as I can lift the others up and over as I slide them out before playing in the sun. BUT this may be tough on the lower level if the next level is too low, insufficient clearance for the bars and front wheel. Also tough on the upper level to just lift them high enough. Watch ceiling clearance and upper body strength. NO, I would not attempt this while standing on a bench or ladder.

A friend has this problem with his LBS type racks. The upper level leaves too little air space to slot bikes in on the lower level. The upper level is too high to slot bikes comfortably - need to reach up pretty high to get it done, with your pretty bicycle trying to fall over and bash the ones beside it until you get it secured. Oh, no 'heavy' bikes on the upper level. Only those less than 15lbs (ya, right).
All good advice, thanks