FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I ran this by " JoeyBike" because he is from New Orleans and have not heard back from him yet but I decided to throw this out for general discussion and see what type of feedback I get. I was basically assaulted yesterday evening by three young kids on the Bike Path I ride every morning and evening. Did not know them, had no previous encounter with them that I know of, had no beef with them. They just picked me out. It wasn't too bad but I was wondering if this is an indication of things to come because I ride at specific times. First they were ahead of me on three Stingray type Bikes coming toward me. They turned around ahead of me so they were going in the same direction. When I caught up with them they stopped me from passing by swerving in front of me deliberately. Then trying to accelerate hard to take advantage of a gap my chain came off because I think my BioPace is worn. So they rode ahead and put there bikes across the Bike Path on the ground so I could not pass. I just dismounted and walked down the face of the levee around the Bikes without looking over and continued on. On the way back they were coming in the opposite direction and played chicken with me. I just got down on the Aeros, hugged the Sea Wall and kept my line and the last bike swerved out of my way then one slapped me on the back. I thought that was the end of it then one of them caught up with me because I was nursing the Chain Ring and watching the Sun Set and he slapped me behind the head. Then trying to accelerate the chain came off again. The three of them basically cornered me but when they saw I was serious they did not advance. So I got back on the Bike and rode off.

Is this a sign of things to come? I am debating exactly what to do. Just avoid them not to give them any satisfaction. Carry a Gun or Mace. Avoid the Bike Path. ( I like my Rides)A little feedback would be nice. Just talking about it made me feel a little better.
I've been through this a few years ago walking through a park with my daughter. 3 teenagers, maybe 17 or 18 years old. Full sized adults physically, but not mentally.

The problem only deescalated after I thought to ask for my daughter's phone to take their photos. They dispersed quickly.

Cell phone photos or video go a long way to showing the police who they have to be on the watch for or for filing a report.

Serious hooligans would assault you for your phone, but in my continuing experience since then, most people just want to get out of "recorded evidence" range.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-16-19 at 02:27 PM.