Old 07-14-19, 03:59 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Is converting a rim brake classic Litespeed road bike to disc even possible? Maybe somebody that does a lot of custom ti work might take on the task of retrofitting a flat disc caliper mount on the rear non-driveside chainstay but then there is the issue of rear dropout spacing from QR 130 to QR 135mm. Not ideal at all.

So how does the bike ride right now? Is the rim braking lacking in some way? Can you optimize it in some way?

If you really want disc and titanium I 2nd what the previous poster put up about the Bikes Direct “Motobecane” model. There was a thread about that bike last week & it sounds like a great value @ ~$2,000.

Having a titanium hydraulic disc sloping top tube tapered fork through axle properly designed road bike frame to me is a great investment. Paying the upcharge for something really special is probably worth it. I imagine if you keep looking, you’ll find some more affordable options out there.

Yes it’s possible, I got the quote to do it, it’s like $1100 for a full retrofit including rear dropout spacing to 135mm..This is from a reputable place that most people recommend. The litespeed vortex rides great…it’s as optimized as it can be as far as braking...good pads, toe in, etc. Disc brakes would perform better since I ride in the fog a lot.

As for the Moto I’m sure that’s fine for most, but I’ve tested that frame actually. Any real power on that bike and there is some ridiculous flex near the BB area. I literally felt like I was yoyoing when pedaling on that thing. You can’t really compare a 6-4 Ti litespeed vortex with oversized diamond shaped tubing and bladed rear triangle to some run of the mill motobecane ti frame. I’d say newer litespeed and Lynskey 6-4 ti frames are good but most run over $3k.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
No you would not need to change groups. You need to do more research if you think so. The calipers are called TRP HyRd BTW.

Nice bikes are expensive to build today. Is this shocking news? Buy a carbon frame and build it up with Ultegra--it will cost a similar $4-$5K easily. Buy it pre-built and it will still easily cost $3K+....unless you're shopping used or wicked sales.

Not shocking I was hoping to get away with not spending more than $500 for the modification. I was reading some threads on how some guys got a guy who knows a guy ti do it for $300.

Originally Posted by Pirkaus
Lynskey, has complete bikes in your price range.

Ya they still run over a thousand more than a carbon offering. I want to stay in the $2k range with ultegra disc group and can’t do that with Lynskey or litespeed. I think the extra grand might be worth it but can’t justify spending more than 3k. Seeing a couple of shattered carbon frames in the TDF this year sure gives me pause though about going carbon. Carbon is inferior to Ti without a doubt.

Originally Posted by growlerdinky
What's wrong with the "full rim brakes" on your Vortex?
Nothing. Full Rim brakes simply don't perform as well as full disc brakes with all the fog / moisture in SF / Norcal.

Originally Posted by jadocs
Why don’t you just sell it and pick up a disc version on sale from Litespeed, Lynski, or Moto?

I’m the opposite I will not go back to carbon. My carbon bike is now my secondary bad weather bike.
Considering it actually. Lynskey's prices are not too bad. After tax though probably looking at $3500 after taxes with 105 for a complete bike where as a carbon with better specs...full Ultegra will be $2k.

Last edited by MyTi; 07-14-19 at 04:07 PM.