View Single Post
Old 09-25-19, 08:36 AM
Maslin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
A point of clarification..in reference to the years 2000+..the statement "The frames were all the same between models, whether steel or titanium" isn't true in a broad sense. Within some model-clusters I think it's a fair statement that models were differentiated by components alone. The Trek-Lemond catalogs(tech catalogs on the vintage trek website) indicate(for example) the Maillot Jaune and Zurich models had "853 Pro" ovalized downtubes(vertical on top and horizontal on the bottom) vs the Buenos Aires (and others) had "853 Designer Select" round downtubes. The chain & seat stays on some models were 525 or 725 while the main triangle was 853. The steel vs titanium frames were essentially the same, though there were differences between them..they were not identical.

Give the 2001 spec manual a read..you'll see how it worked..

Understood. I believe he was speaking specifically about the "Spine" bikes.

Trying to determine the size I referenced the size chart from the catalog. Many of the measurements are similar between 51, 53W and 53, wheelbase seemed to be the one determining factor, although 1mm across a 970mm span is pretty hard to see.

Rode the bike a bit last night, looking forward to 170 cranks and proper pedals, I've clipped the pavement a few too many times.