View Single Post
Old 06-23-20, 04:01 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadgraveller
Great thanks for the detailed note back. I think you are right, stick with what I have which is already quite conservative versus most road bikes. And just get stronger and fitter.

Yes the Fred Whitten is an objective, I doubt I'll do it on the charity day with the other 2,000 cyclists (a bit too busy for a relative newby like me) and ask the family to help out with a few food and drink stations. I think if it can do it in 8-9 hours I'll be chuffed. A friend did it in 6:40 (he came 49th) but he is fit and very strong. 112miles and 4000m of ascent will be tough.

Cheers again.
For me 112 miles is a challenge on ordinary roads! I have a work colleague who's done it three times. The third time he was in the process of moving his family to Northern Ireland and bare got to do any training - to the extent that he considered pulling out. He came back into work the next week and announced 'It turns out training's overrated.' Apparently he'd decided to take it really easy but still managed a personal best.

By the way, I read a discussion once on bike weights. They came to the conclusion that the cheapest way to shave half a kilo off your bike was to pay someone to carry your water bottle so getting friends and family to help out with food and drink stations sounds like a good plan.