View Single Post
Old 11-06-13, 06:30 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by likebike23
@surreal: Thanks for the info on the u-brakes. I did a little research and found the same thing. I'm going to run a rear u-brake on the front with a headset mounted cable hanger and yoke setup. Just looking for a cheap Bmx bike on craigslist that I can harvest some parts from.
It might actually be cool to build a u-brake equipped mtb with a Potts-mod stem and the funky cable routing, but I doubt it. That convoluted twist sorta kills the braking feel....

I have become a huge fan of not using headset-mounted hangers. I have some bullmoose bars with the integrated hanger on a canti-equipped mtb, and that's the one that converted me. I got a cheap current-production Kalloy dirt-drop style stem, and it has a stop built it, too. If I were to build a bike with centerpulls that wouldn't involve a hanger provision in the stem, I'd likely go with one of these things:
**edit** might not fit in with your u-brake adaptor** I just have this irrational fear about the hanger-in-the-stem-stack causing shuddering, although I haven't experienced it myself....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
123406.jpg (28.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by surreal; 11-06-13 at 06:32 PM. Reason: afterthought