Old 01-20-16, 11:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've tried carbon forks on older steel bikes, and found the same as you did, the steel fork seems to be more in tune with the frame's mojo, and the bikes rode better with the OEM steel fork. I suppose those bike designers knew what they were doing, eh? I even tried a carbon fork in place of a Tange Mangalloy fork, the difference was 2 oz and the steel fork smoother.

If I could find a steel fork for a modern bike, I'd love to try one. Columbus Life or Zona tubing come to mind, but I'm not sure how they'd form it in a modern application, with a steel threadless steerer.... I'm sure there's a way, but from a manufacturing standpoint, it's a lot easier to do with carbon, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm not arguing against carbon forks. I do wonder however, why there aren't more steel forks available for modern steel bikes.

My steel fork is "modern" in that it is threadless but is pretty high-end lugged Tange Infinity CroMo. It's not an old or vintage fork but manufactured in 2015. I thought it would be heavy and harsh but everything I heard about the "Buttery feel" of steel frames translated to the fork as well. Riding the bike is like riding on a cloud.

Not really sure I have a point here other than expressing my own experience with a steel fork and wondering out loud why riders don't consider steel forks for steel bikes more often. I get that you can't have on your bike what what manufacturers don't offer. If I was to build a modern steel bike however, I would not hesitate to put a good quality steel fork on it.