View Single Post
Old 01-18-17, 09:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Chainstay length, even for a tourer, can be a trade-off. Is this bike going to be ridden "light"? Long chainstays negatively affect handling when light. Now, heel strike doesn't work. But it can often be negated with a different rack or moving the panniers back. Yes, weighted panniers pushed back is less than ideal. But longer chainstays to get the panniers/weight further back is doing some of the same thing.

The longer wheelbase will help when you are seated but out when of the saddle, having the weight further back sucks. If it is back for heelstrike, the blame is on your heels. (I have to keep my handlebars far forward or higher than optimum to keep my thighs from hitting them hard climbing out of the saddle. I too have body parts issues ans have to modify my bikes for them.)

Something to consider that will keep a shorter wheelbase bike as an excellent tourer - load the front more heavily, esp with Lowrider racks and lessen the rear pannier's both weight and size. I believe there are also now front Lowrider-style racks that are higher ans allow for full sized panniers and ground clearance. This would allow you to use large panniers you currently own.

The Miyata 610 and my Peter Mooney both have 17 1/4 (438 mm) chainstays. Sporty touring but quite workable. I've light toured my Mooney. (Weekend rides, but unsupported camping.) And owned a 610. Real miles on both bikes.

Ben