Old 05-16-19, 09:54 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I've ridden Lucas and Cochran several times, though not recently. I usually park around the Hwy 113 end and ride out towards Cochran and Narroway Church. I like to ride in that area and around Braswell Mountain Rd., Brushy Mountain Rd. I live in Cartersville near Dellinger Park and occasionally I'll ride up Dabb's Bridge Rd. and do a loop out towards Paris Mountain/Vinson Mountain and back home. I've ridden very little around Mt. Moriah, haven't really explored much on the east side of Hwy 61.
I've done the Fried Green Tomato 50 a couple of times out of Juliette, but I haven't tried the Red Clay Ramble. I'd like to give it a go, but I'm not quite up to it just yet. I'm currently struggling with a couple of somatic issues on the bike while prepping for BRAG. With the rainy weather in early spring, I'm a good bit behind where I would like to be at this time. I do thoroughly enjoy your post and photos.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yes, Paulding.

That's Lucas Rd and Cochran Rd off Hwy 61 if you want to find it on the map. I start at the high school nearby. There are random gravel roads here and there in the area - Mt. Moriah, Jonny Monk, Gore Lakes, Benson Lake and a few others. Worth doing because they are so close for me and really nice to ride after work in the summer.

The gravel in the top photo is relatively fresh, dumped on thick a few months ago as trucks were present to build a gas pipeline nearby. Most of the gravel in this area however is pea over hardpack, very rideable and fast. If you have ridden in the Cohutta Mountains or up near Dahlonega then this will seem smooth.

Where are you located? A friend and I will be riding the Red Clay Ramble route on the 18th and would love to have company.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27442473

-Tim-