Old 07-07-19, 11:12 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Old Guys and Descending

So I naturally get more interesting viewing cycling with the TDF going on and leads me to a question. I like most of the group here I believe find those crazy descending speeds they go are unbelievable. So I ask this question to us over 50 are you much more cautious than you were years ago and how much slower would we be taking those long descends. I am not obviously looking at what speed but just generally I think I would be going down hold the brakes or featherings them all the way down. In fact just looking over the edge on some of those roads would have me scared to death. I am just the only one?

I say this as a cyclist in the flatlands of Illinois and when we get to any small downhill I do try and turn up the speed. Around here to get over 38 mph is pretty rare you have to have lots of tailwind. I find that I do get a thrill and as I get more comfortable with a particular downhill it does get less scary. But that said I have hit 43 mph on a ski resort going down the road in the summer and I was ok but getting any faster would take me way beyond comfort level. I guess that is why those guys are pros but I just wonder if they ever really get scared because I sure do.