Old 08-11-19, 01:26 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Works great on front. This bag moves from bike to bike as needed, take about 2 minutes to put on or take off:

The 'rack' that I made for it is just a strategically bent length of 1/4" aluminum round stock (shown with a 3/16" version of the same thing for a lighter bag:

Just hangs on the stem. The shoulder straps of the backpack get undone and you tie the upper part of them to the handlebars where the bars meet the stem and the lower parts tie together onto the head tube . Pretty simple and effective. It helps fit better if you ride larger size frames, like this one. After using it for awhile, I reinforced the bottom of the bag with a layer of stiff plastic (from a laundry detergent bucket lid) inside and a very thin 1/8" piece of plywood on the outside. This gave me a solid base to mount two P-clips to keep the bag centered on the rack tubing.
whoa! this is an approach that had not occurred to me! so cool!

i have an old gregory rock climbing pack with a compartment for a helmet, straps for roping, and water bottle pockets. i'd love to do this and be able to use my pack.

where'd you get the aluminum round stock? lowe's or similar? and, how'd you bend it without it snapping?

i'd guess you made atleast the hook for the quill by bending around the quill and bars. and, i suppose making the lower right angle bends just something of the desired shape? like what?

Last edited by thook; 08-11-19 at 01:30 AM.