Old 09-03-19, 10:56 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
You should not adjust saddle to bar reach via the saddle.
Saddle position should purely be positioned to get you so that you are pedalling equally with your quads and hamstrings.
If you have too much weight on your hands you may have your bars too close to you.
It seems counter-intuituve, but having a longer stem, may be what you need.
You may also have your saddle too high.
There are a number of things it could be though.
No, that isn't what was suggested. What was suggested has nothing to do with reach, it has to do with getting the seat positioned correctly, so it counterbalances your lean forward, just as you do when you kneel down to pick something up. your butt goes out behind you to counterbalance you, so you don't fall forward. It's the same on the bike, if your seat is too far forward, as you lead down to grab the bars, your weight will shift forward, putting too much weight on your hands. With your seat properly placed, you can reach forward and remain very stable on the seat, with minimal weight on your hands. While pedaling with decent intensity, Steve Hogg says just under TT pace, you should be able to take your hands off the bars while on the hoods, or the drops, without feeling like you will fall forward. Personally, I think you can modify the intensity based on how you will ride normally. Since I tour, I want to be stable on the saddle, at an intensity level lower than, "just under TT pace," and with my setup, I am.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/