Old 09-13-19, 07:16 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I have seen the Allroad Pro for as low as $824 ($934 right now or $900 from Excel) not the $1200 msrp. So in complete fairness and in honesty. Let us talk real world numbers when comparing prices. There is a reason I didn't go with price in the OP though.
example..... I have a 2 pound down sleeping bag, so why would I pay $400 for a 15 ounce bag? pack size and weight! same reason I'd throw out $400 for a new tent from Agnes. shorter tent poles when packed. Money isn't the argument. I am well aware of your hesitation to spend $30 on compressionless brake cable housing though. Please don't bring that money argument to this topic. If I have to go a month with out steak and eat ground chuck instead so I can buy my Mavics, then I'll buy my Mavics. (disclaimer: I eat ground chuck regularly instead of steak anyways)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I would choose a wheelset that I trusted would carry me safely for days in the middle of nowhere and could be readily repaired if needed.

What bike are these for?
Mavic allroad pro is on the list because they check off the "trust" box. As for "readily repaired", Well I can haul a spoke or two just like a rider can haul one or two of your spoke on a Salsa Marrakesh frame chain stay.

I am, in part, basing my 'Mavic trust' on my experience with 10,000+ miles on 2005 era Mavic Elites. Also based on cheaper Aksium one disc wheelset. Even though those Aksium were brutally flexy and heavy.

My other 2 wheelset choices involve asymmetrical straightpull builds, for stronger stiffer wheels. One is $1,600 built by one hell of a wheel builder (if you want to compare money), and the other (light bicycle) is probably 4-5 weeks out. The weather is changing... It's time to go. I not waiting on Lightbicycle.

and 1610 gram wheels vs stock 2100 gram wheels is a huge difference in rotating mass. I just took my ss to the gun show group ride a couple weeks ago with its 2200 gram wheels. It still hurts.

Oh and IW matters the allroads are 22mm, and the allroads are solid bed, (lightbicycle also offers solid rim beds) I am so done with that tape stuff. HUGE Upside.

Edit, btw the $934 price tag gives me $46 in VIP credit, so it actually puts me $12 ahead of the Excel buy.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-13-19 at 07:32 AM.