horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
If the torn labrum and supraspinatus muscle are in the same shoulder and you a middle age or younger surgery is your best bet IF, and BIG IF, you can get quality long-term physical therapy and are willing to endure the pain and time to rehab. Shoulders are about the hardest injuries to rehab. Generally speaking the needed quality PT usually isn't available to folks, even with insurance. The PT is too limited.

However, since you posted in the fifty-plus forum I take you are at least 50 years old. The older you are the more you should tilt toward just PT or a more conservative surgery if available.

I'm 73 and both labrums are torn as well as minor tears in both shoulders plus moderate to severe arthritis and some impingement. Surgery was offered as I'm always in pain, especially sleeping at night. I said heck no as at my age and relatively high level of conditioning from biking and other exercising I cannot to lose what I have to surgery and that I would never get back due to my age.
I have considered just living with it as is, and have coped for the past three years following injury, but the pain is more frequent and the arm is getting weaker. I was told two of the ligaments have completely separated and if I do nothing I will eventually lose use of the arm. Surgery may be a gamble, but it’s one I’m willing to take. If it were my left (non-dominant) arm I would just make do.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports