View Single Post
Old 08-02-11, 08:46 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by MassiveD
I think you are getting something of the usual response here, and while I may have missed something, I think this idea is different in that he isn't actually talking about using a charity as a front (did mention a charity type software), and then funding a trip with some small part, a question that comes up regularly. To me this is more has anyone used social media to create something like a bridal registry for their trip. While I haven't heard about that, I don't see why it would be wrong in some settings: I got nothing when I got married, but some lower status friends of different backgrounds got house downpayment sized cumulative donations because that was their culture.

I do think a tour can be life changing to some extent, but selling that to friends requires you to hook up with some rather weak people, or people like moms who have a compelling reason to hope for some change. Why isn't it life changing to pay your own way as part of this. I am sure you could.

If you want to live and adventurous life, you have to have a way of paying for it. If you set it up so it only works as an exception to some rule, a life changing event as you put it, then you are probably going to have limited chances to get out there.
I'm not commenting on the ethics of doing this for a bike tour, but at least one online bank - Smartypig.com - allows you to set up accounts with dollar goals and lets you accept money from third parties.