Old 10-24-18, 03:02 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I've never understood why some of the people on the internet like to try to create drama, sigh. I am absolutely sure you understood my point which is that the size of the object is not a detriment and one can creatively find a way to move things. Eye-rolling back at you....
Sure, if you don't have to haul it miles.
When I had a car I was having a hard time finding a good book case for records. I finally found one ten miles from where I live. I needed something like a bookcase. It was one of the only things that would work well and not cost a lot. So unless I want to take the risk of being run over there was no way I was getting that back on a bike with a trailer. You never see anybody remotely attempting this around here. Now you could rent a truck. But biking ten miles to where the bookcase was would be very risky as well.
I had to get rid of some pieces of 4x4's the other day. On a bike? And the local dump wouldn't take them.
A lot of this has to do with location as much as the object size, and the ability to haul things with a bike trailer which is next to impossible in the DC/Boston 95 Corridor.
A bike with a small trailer to hall groceries in the city. Yeah, that, but otherwise......

That's what I miss about owning a car. getting further out, and looking for neat things. It's just impossible, or to time consuming to do certain things without a car. And I have not owned a car in 9 years as of this month.

I certainly don't miss gas costs, repairs, or insurance.

My Mother had a blow out on the highway, and her tires were getting old on her 08 CRV. $1000. Her AC Compressor went in July. She is older and would roast in the mid atlantic summers. That was $1500. The vehicle only has 68K on it and was bought new by her. Still. A lot of money. And all of it happened the same month.

My Father is well off enough he just leases. Every three years. New car, three years, new car, and so on.......

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-24-18 at 03:13 PM.