Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Proper bike fit is the first thing to get right, then you need time in the saddle to give your body time to adjust. Anyone who goes from occasional rides to a long period of 40 to 60 miles per day is asking for trouble.

When I have been off the bike for the winter, I know that when I get back on the bike I will have soreness for 3 or 4 weeks as my backside gets used to the saddle. No combination of saddle, shorts, and bike fit will prevent this soreness, it's completely normal. I would not attempt any long rides without at least 6 weeks to prepare. Unless you have some physical impediment, any combination of a decent saddle,shorts, proper bike fit, and time on the bike will eventually cure soreness.
Soreness isn't the issue on this thread. The issue is "numb dick." Soreness is acceptable, this latter issue is not, no, never, totally not acceptable. Perineum pain usually doesn't start until after one has had a numb dick for quite a while. More saddle time is not helpful, quite the contrary. And contrary to what one reads, females have a very similar problem with a similar solution - hole in saddle.