Old 05-10-19, 08:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
There are plenty of men who are recreational cyclists who also could not tell you much about their bikes beyond the color. Some people take their cycling seriously and do their homework to find the best bike for them that they can afford. Others just pick up a Wally World bike and ride. And some are in between. They buy from the LBS, but still don't really know much other than whatever the sales person emphasized. For example, my husband knows he has disk brakes. He couldn't tell you whether they are hydraulic or mechanical, what chainrings and cassettes he has or how wide his tires are. He knows he has presta valves (but can't remember that name) only because we had to buy a new pump.
I bought my son a Specialized Roll Sport. He rides it happily around campus and it is his go-to transportation. I would bet money he couldn't tell me what kind of derailleurs are on there without googling it or peeking at the bike. I don't think he's atypical of the average light commuter in this regard.