Old 05-20-19, 07:42 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i do like Lon's notion of doing whatever it takes to get an hour at near your max.

i dunno about Lon's 90% idea. coz the last time i measured my heart rates in events i was 50 yrs old and doing a half hour to an hour races at 180bpm ave. which calculated to 90% of my max. so i found that level to be tolerable.

...i wonder what my numbers are now at age 58.

the last 2 yrs i've gotten bored w riding straight so have backed way off on my fast group riding, which used to be my key to keeping my high base and my raceweight. rats. i still want to do fun cyclocross but i'm 10 lbs up and searching for my own HIIT secret recipe. for me there's kinda nothing like a rotating paceline at 28mph for a 1.5 hr session to keep the engine honed. but i haven't been able to endure the boredom lately. even tho big group rides start from only a mile or 2 from our house!

i'm attempting to stay fit for xc skiing and cyclocross by doing crazy things on nearby trails, such as dragging TWO car tires on a bungie using ski poles. we dont have any good uphills around here! a big uphill would be awesome. that's a cure for most any ailment.