Thread: 2019 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 01:24 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I dnf'd the PA 600k because I couldn't eat. Only made it 180 miles. I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to be able to ride 90 miles of mostly uphill on no food. Well, I could have, but the last 110 miles was pretty brutal.
It somehow had escaped me that the NJ 600 registration was even open, and they are overfull. I'm on the waiting list, but I think I will go ride the much more difficult looking DC 600k. Going to have to work on my heat tolerance. I DNF'd this DC course last year because, wait for it, I couldn't eat. Well, I couldn't drink either. I really like the part of it I rode though.
There's also the central NY one (same weekend as NJ -- I'm doing NJ because my friends are, but otherwise I'd be back for another loop around the CNY one). Edit: see you in NJ! I'll be the fat woman on a white-and-blue Seven.

I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to keep myself cool enough on the Florida rides; I did hit a bunch of points where I suddenly HAD TO SIT IN THE SHADE RIGHT NOW but I did so and was fine. I did get a little salt-short the first day in the heat, mostly notable because I got horrible hotfoot, then ate a pile of salt at the next control and put my feet up, and that solved that.) I'm hoping it's not too hot in NJ, but it's flat enough I can afford to take my time cooling off when I need to.

I missed the NER 300k because I had made a dumb error putting my bike back together, had failed to shake it down after, and couldn't figure it out in the parking lot. Sigh. I did do the Vermont 200k on my gravel bike, which was a blast. Definitely recommended, even when (like this year) there's a LOT of mud on the dirt roads. Next ride is the 200k/300k I'm organizing in Burlington VT -- I'm going to ride the 200k and my husband will sign cards until I finish (given who's signed up so far, I may be lanterne rouge for the 200k but should be back before any speedy 300kers show up...) If anyone still needs a 300k, it should be a fun ride (8k of climbing, neither flat nor mountainous, as many gorgeous lake views as you could possibly want).

Last edited by antimonysarah; 05-24-19 at 12:38 PM.