View Single Post
Old 06-26-19, 05:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Nobody is saying that the MUP should be setup to allow elite cyclist to ride at full speed. I'm simply stating that if it would operate efficiently, it would allow faster movers (be then on a bike, just running, walking...) to make mostly unimpeded progress. If you are blocking someone faster than you for no good reason, other than your lack of attention or courtesy, that is inefficient and unnecessary. Wanting to move past those people doesn't make one selfish, it just makes those reducing efficiency selfish.

No, you just misstated your own argument. You started by saying that too much diversity of vehicles on the MUP defeats efficiency. In particular, you were jumping on to complain about kick scooters. If you weren't intending to argue that people should not be allowed to use the paths in a manner that slows fast bicyclists, you have done a very bad job .

Obviously, people should be courteous and make room for passing, but this is trumped by safety concerns at all times. Remember, the rules on almost all mups require that bikes yield to pedestrians, so we're relying on their courtesy to let us pass.

I'm going to leave this discussion because frankly I don't think you understand mups have multiple purposes and that the rules are there to accommodate as many of those as possible. If "efficiency" as you define it was the primary purpose, there would have to be a minimum age for bike riders, for example. In case you haven't noticed, MUPs are often where toddlers are being taught to ride. These multiple uses are why these paths get funded in the first place.