Old 07-27-18, 10:45 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by toast3d
Craigslist doesn't exactly have a good reputation for a large number of reasons, many of which have nothing at all to do with the bicycle listings specifically. Feel free to correct me on that, but I don't think it's controversial. I realize this might be a bit of a sore spot for some of you, because you've bought used bikes and parts from craigslist in the past, and will probably continue to do so in the future. I'm posting this topic to plead with you to stop doing that.

The reason for this is simple: you're much more likely to end up with something that's been stolen. Bike theft is a huge problem, especially in areas with a high population and a high percentage of cyclists. A lot of people quit riding bikes altogether because of theft. It's a major factor in slowing the long term growth of cycling.

By purchasing used bikes and parts from cragslist, you run the risk of supporting bicycle theft.

Please, if you do want to keep using craigslist, don't buy anything unless the seller has the original receipt. I know some of you love getting vintage bikes from CL, but please stop. You could be supporting thieves and fencers. The next time you're tempted to go digging on CL for a great deal, try to think about how it feels to have your bike stolen.

If people stop buying used bikes on CL, theft should in theory go down because it won't be worth the thief's time to steal a bike in a lot of cases. High end bikes will probably still get stolen, but it may significantly reduce mid-to low end thefts if less people are willing to use CL. I believe CL is probably one of the largest places where stolen bikes end up.

Just consider it, please.
I disagree! People should be smart enough to know if what they are buying matches the surroundings. I mean if your looking at giving $3000 for a used bike in section 8 housing, somethings probably wrong with that scenario. I think Craigslist, if used properly, is a great source to get items sold or bought. I also know for a fact, that police in my area monitor craigslist for stolen property.