View Single Post
Old 02-22-19, 10:11 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
The thing that really extends a chains life is being kept clean. The longer chain of an RWD recumbent MIGHT last longer but you can make sure it does by using chaintubes which enclose the chain and reduce the amount of dirt and dust it picks up from the road. The additional drag is on the order of a few watts of energy, not enough to get worried about. The Flevo (and Python) lowracers are very hard to learn and you will be slower until you adapt. Same thing with regular recumbents! If you think you are going to start setting speed records the same month you get your lowracer finished ... ... I doubt it. And ... its worth pointing out ... recumbents are faster, yes. But faster needs to be qualified. In the real world of variable road surfaces and elevations, a standard bike with a fit, experienced rider in a nice tuck can give a lowracer a good run for the money. If the recumbent rider (and they usually are) is not that experienced the standard bike will crush him. Simply put, I am not expecting all out speed on a bent will be faster. I do expect that similar speeds to what were attainable on a regular road racer will be easier to achieve and hold on the recumbent.