View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 07:05 AM
rantoie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would probably aim a little higher and get an IQ-X.
The reason why I decided against the IQ-X was because I read people saying they had both the Cyo (note: Premium 80 version, its an upgraded version to the older model) and the IQ-X and couldn't really notice a difference. The IQ-X feels more like a direct challenge to Edelux lights. It does have a higher light output, but the beam is very narrow. It also seems to have a pretty weak standlight (its only powered by a capacitor). It does look like a higher quality anodized steel casing, which would last longer.

So the beam is really narrow, from what I've ready... there is a narrow degree arc in the front, and other than that, everything is totally dark, it seems a bit *too* focused. But maybe that shouldn't be a problem?

The switch appears to be electrical, instead of mechanical, which means if the light has no power, you can't use the switch.... Lets say you turn the light off, and stop... you can't turn it back on again without spinning the wheel to feed it power. That seems a little annoying. Not to mention the switch light glows on the back, constantly. Sure its dimmer at night, but do I really need a blue circle in my peripheral vision at all times (people do say its not annoying and they don't notice it, but still... I turn on lights for a reason)?

Finally, the standlight probably would mean I'd need a battery light to supplement it in my urban riding, which kind of defeats the purpose of the dynamo. I think the Edelux 2 would be a better version of the same... but it costs a lot more.

The IQ2 maybe is a better compromise, it has better side visibility, and a much more powerful standlight... I don't want/need the remote and usb charger though, so if I don't need those, why pay more for this light, when I can get a cheaper Cyo Premium, which has upgraded goodies?

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The German online shops have really good prices on SP dynohubs, not sure about SON dynohubs. I don't know about brick and mortar shops there. Of course, you have to do a little work to get your VAT back.
Yeah, the problem is that I probably cannot return to Canada with a dynohub, without paying a lot of import duty, which will probably make the whole thing not worth it.

Last edited by rantoie; 05-23-19 at 08:01 AM.