View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 09:11 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Yes, this is incorrect. Or, rather, this is not necessarily correct. Vegan is a dietary restriction in which you don't eat animals or animal by-products (like eggs and dairy products). Many vegans adopt this diet for reasons involving animal exploitation, so they likely would not be a fan of horse racing and similar uses of animals for non-food purposes. Many vegans adopt this diet for health reasons. They might be fine with horse racing, kicking puppies, or stomping on baby sea turtles as the crawl from their eggs to the ocean. Probably not all those things, but the fact that they don't eat animal products really doesn't carry any information about their morality or beliefs.

Likewise vegetarians don't eat meat, but might eat animal by-products. They might have multiple reasons, some involving animal exploitation, some not.
Correct.

I often encounter people who tell me they are vegetarian, for example, but eat fish, as it is not meat? I don't argue. They are doing it for perceived health reasons which is fine. Most do it for dietary reasons so will add or subtract some products depending on whether they see a value in doing so. Others do it for ethical reasons and have an additional level of reasoning beyond dietary. Others do it for spiritual/religious reasons. 7th day Adventists, Sikhs, Hindu, Jain, Buddhist; all have a vegetarian component. One can argue how come but it's about as productive as arguing why or which religion and those discussion belongs in the politics and religion sub forum.

Vegan almost always has a health/ethical basis and can be very hard to follow when out of ones normal comfort zone, hence the topic of this thread. But people still manage if they choose to. Sometimes they plan ahead, add occasional animal product to supplement, or modify activity. Depends. It can be a tough row to hoe during the learning curve.

Let's keep it on topic as for touring this is a pretty valid question. Debates about comparative value or validity can go elsewhere.