Old 06-05-19, 01:27 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 729 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I might be a "Homer" since we just put money down on our 6th Volvo ... but I am a fan of Volvo for the strong history leading safety advances.

(All cars sold by Volvo Car with a model year of 2014 or later is equipped with City Safety Generation II)
Volvo Cars and POC to demonstrate life-saving wearable cycling tech concept at International CES 2015
I have no beef with Volvo other than switching to curvy lines. But this smells a bit like blaming the victim, just like their bicycle visibility paint. Why don't they just stick to their own responsability? I believe it was them who about 20 years ago did some research into making their car less damaging in case of a collision with a pedestrian or cyclist, a different bonnet design with different material if recall correctly. Now the message is 'the cyclist should protect itself against our cars, which is impossible anyway.

In my opinion not even cyclists should promote the helmet as a safety feature for cycling, it's sports equipment. Car manufacturers have to stay out of that all together, because they are the cause and should tackle the problem there. I don't believe bicycle helmets exist at all, it's a crash helmet. It has no function in cycling at all, only in crashes and the name gives the wrong impression about cycling. Wear a helmet if you're likely to crash, but people and certainly companies with an adverse interest shouldn't interfere with that choice at all and for just cycling helmets have no use at all.