Old 03-22-18, 09:09 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
For off road bikes I use riser bars. I could use flat bars with a taller stem but the riser bars result in a shorter/lower stem and perhaps a little more clearance in case of a "Flying Wallenda" moment over the bars

I'm just not able to bend down to a normal drop bar setup with a good degree of comfort so the drops were always wasted on me.

A few years back I got a set of moustache bars for a single speed I had at the time. Very much liked the bars but not how the brake levers had to mount when used on the inner area. A bit later I bought a Redline 9to5 that came with bullhorn bars and bar end levers. I found that this setup was a natural for me. Very comfortable wrist angle on the road with some additional hand positions as options where flats or riser bars don't have any options.

The thing is flat bars or riser bars used off road with a more elbows up and out stance for control provide a pretty natural wrist angle for me. But on the road or casual riding I don't hold my arms in that manner and it shows up on the wrists. The bullhorn bars on the other hand give me four positions for variety with two of them providing a very naturally straight wrist angle.

There's the main position with my hands on the outer portions just behind the kick up front ends. Then there's back a little on the bends with hands either thumbs out or in depending where on the bend. Then there's the more sitting upright position given by the hands in on the straight across middle portion. For hills I have my hands on the outer forward horns and move them forward to hold around the front of the brake lever bases. This encourages my forearms to drop and pull me down. But I'm stretched out so my head is automatically not having to bend back sharply and my chest isn't scrunched up like I am with drop bars. So I can breath really well and put energy into the pedals.

This worked so well that when I built up my Soma Double Cross using brifters I used drop bars because I had to but I mounted the upper portion up flat and mounted the brifters up quite high so the center, bends and run to the brifters matched bullhorn bars with bar end levers. I then cut off the drops just below the brifter bases. The setup has worked really well for me. And it's a worthy alternative to flat bars thanks to the variations on hand positions while still providing a usable lower crouch option that works really well.

Really bad dark hallway picture added to show the cut down drop bars masquerading as bullhorn bars with brifters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1030232.JPG (138.4 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by BCRider; 03-22-18 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added picture