View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 03:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
So, after a week straight riding anywhere from 20 to 50+ miles over a variety of terrain and road surfaces, the new bike has become the favorite bike. The bike's climbing stability stands out - I'm assuming this stability comes from the wider bar (42cm). When seated it just tracks in a nice, straight line up whatever I'm climbing, and is it smooth? Damn straight! Rolls over everything with no complaint. I so much want to take this on the Iron Horse Trial and test it out on gravel, but I don't want to cut up these wonderful tires. I may swap over the Paselas currently on the Casati and give it a go. Probably will - next week, after the Anacortes show.

I ended up going with basic black cotton bar tape. I actually liked the look of the medium blue Benotto tape, but the change came as a matter of necessity. I've already had two close-calls where my hand slipped on the bar (both times on the left side of the bar) and I almost went down; this was with gloves, too. Hit a small bump, my hand was resting on the palm on top of the bar when it slipped forward as a result of the bump. The second time I was changing my hand position and my hand slipped right off the end of the upper curve when I was reaching out for the brake hood. Two warnings were enough for this guy

Anyway, it's all matchy-matchy now:

It's funny, I've entertained thoughts of bringing my collection down to like 4 bikes or less as a result of riding around on this. Between it, the Casati (for thrashing 'round on any and all surfaces), the Colnago Mexico (serious fun and lots of sentimental value) and the Medici (perfect fit and geometry for all-day riding), my riding needs are pretty much taken care of.

For now, I'll keep 'em (save the Somec). However, this bike is telling me every single ride that less is more. Best $1000 I ever spent!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-21-19 at 01:26 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude: