View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 10:19 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Post event report.

I flip flopped about which bike to take. #3 was the winner.
1st choice Trek Cirrus 520 converted to 584 x 38 GravelKings.
2nd choice Miyata Two Ten converted to 622 x 38 GravelKings.
3rd choice Trek 970 MTB converted to dropbar with Tioga PowerBlock 2.1.
I tested Compass Naches Pass, Pasela-TG, and the PowerBlocks for a couple of weeks and decided wider would be better.

Happy with the 970, no mechanical problems. Glad I added ty wraps to secure the Madden bracket to the bars. A drop bag service was offered but I wanted to be self supported. Two bottles on the bike, a liter Nalgene in the Madden bar bag, one spare tire, two tubes, tools, food... for a 40 pound rolling weight.

Didn’t see any other steel bikes. Not sure anyone else had rim brakes. For sure I was the only rider in Teva sandals.

My description of the course would be “mixed surface”. Maybe 40% paved/oil&chip, 50% gravel, and 10% single track. The off road was tough. Varied from faint trail, horse trail, to get off and scramble down while carrying/dragging the bike.

The paved portions were glorious. Should have taken more pictures. Little traffic and the drivers passed slowly and far into the left lane. Gravel sections were plenty dusty. Some smooth, some washboard areas that were hard to spot in the shadows.

Maybe 50 riders. I was last off and last to return. Happy to be alone. About 11 miles in a young woman joined me. Her riding partner decided to cut off to the 25 mile route. Molly had a modern Specialized MTB running 1 x 12. She installed GravelKing SK two days before. Strong rider and a fearless descender who would leave me behind. Her tail light is visible in one picture. I could catch and pass her on the climbs. I did have to tell her on one hill that I would talk after the top. We kept each other on course except for a missed turn around mile 36. We were enjoying a rough and rocky decent when we met a line of Jeeps slowly making their way uphill. They let us know that it was a dead end. They passed and then we headed uphill about .7 miles to a sort of trail that we missed, this was the off road section. Only one tree to climb over. After getting thru the woods it was just keep riding.

I strongly dislike paying money, or driving somewhere to ride my bike. A six hour round trip is not my preference. I am glad I went. It was hard. It was good to return to the hills my father came from.