View Single Post
Old 04-23-20, 12:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsmith22765
I'm looking to pick up a bike.

Stats
6 foot 2 inches
weigh 300lbs
Inseam is 32 for pants.
36 inch arms for shirts
I used to be 240, but had a back injury and put on 60 lbs weight. I

I want to get back into biking for fitness 3-4x a week 10-15 miles, and wanted to get some recommendations.

Terrain- Mix of road/pavement and possibly some gravel and rail trails. No traditional mountain bike riding in my future.

Problems I have encountered
- My back issue flares up when I lean over too aggressively, so road bikes are out and probably drop bars? I am extremely wide shouldered and top heavy from years of playing football and former cross fitter (think size 54 jacket when out of shape, custom cut size 52 when I was 60 lbs lighter). So skinny tires and a road bike aren't the best for me.

What do you all recommend?

I've looked at

1. Surly Long Haul Trucker Disc Brakes -58 frame - 700 CC tires

2. Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 - 2021 model - 58 frame- 700 cc tires

3. Surly Bridge Club

Any other suggestions or feedback?
what type of riding are you planning road, road and trail, etc

what is budget?

if the bucks are there a professional fitting is a good idea......you can do things like raise the stem to help with back or put different bars on and possibly return to drops in future, sounds like you are the type to get serious, if so better bike up front may save bucks in the long run

Likes For squirtdad: