View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 09:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean
We rode a version of that frame from 1973 to 1975, only with Mixte in the rear. We rode it a lot before we replaced it a Bob Jackson tandem. I hope your frame is stiffer than ours was. We used to call it the "articulating bike" because the frame would flex so much when we stood. Like yours, our frame had Mafac cantilever brakes and came with 27" wheels. We were able to adjust the brakes so that we could ride on sew-up rims, which have the same effective diameter as a 700c rim.

I was going to say that the bike is likely very flexy, and not to give up on riding tandems if you find this bike to be uncomfortably flexy.

For a light team that doesn’t ride aggressively, you may find this bike perfectly acceptable. If you’re bigger, or like to hammer, it will likely ride like a wet noodle.

Personally, I think your bike is a cool project, interesting as a vintage bike, and something fun to play with. If you really get into tandems I’d consider trading up to a newer used tandem like a Trek, or Canondale before I put any money into the Gitane