View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 06:33 AM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's a nice bike. Some components are lower end as you say, probably to save money to keep overall cost down on a Pinion drive. Like the fenders are pretty flimsy and rattle around a bit. Many people have experienced the wheels going out of true and broken spokes very early in ownership (I'm one of them and the Priority FB group has many others). Still, where it counts in the drivetrain, it seems very solid. The brakes are ok - not great, but fine. The Pinion and belt have been bomb proof. I rode a lot in NYC this winter through all kinds of gunk - snow, slush, all very salty, and plenty of rain. The bike is dirty but completely unaffected. I think it's an incredible value. The frame seems fine - it's aluminum and a bit on the heavy side but nothing sticks out as bad about it. I've heard of no issues with it.

That all said, see my message above about it being a bit uninspired to ride. It's slow and steady and very planted, which I appreciate on a touring / commuter. But if you're used to a road or gravel bike, it may feel boring. It does to me. So I generally don't ride it very often anymore - mostly sits in our bike room waiting for really nasty days that I don't want to take the road on gravel bike out in.

Originally Posted by jcl123
Hello, I was searching around for first-hand experiences with the Priority 600, and this thread seems to have the most current or former owners.

So, having owned your 600 for awhile now, would you recommend it?

I was a year-round bike commuter into Boston (hey Archwhorides, I am also in Arlington), about 8 miles each-way and even in the winter if the snow is not too deep. But, after CV19 I am working from home permanently, and I sold my old Frankenstein Gary Fisher. So now I want to get something just for exercise and cruising around with the family, but I am still going to appreciate a good bike.

I have wanted to go belt drive for years as I would go through a chain and cassette every year.
I was considering the $1,800 Montague Allston (with an Alphine 11), but since I don't commute anymore I don't really need a folder.
The local bike shop has very few belt drive bikes, they recommended a $1,500 BMC Alpenchallenge One (Alphine 8), saying it is much better than the Allston, but.....of course they don't have any and don't know when they will. So, this led me to the Priority bikes.... I would probably be happy with the Alphine 11 if I could find one for sale with a belt drive anywhere, but I have read allot about the Pinion and Rohloff hubs.

The 600 is very attractively priced, so much so that I fear that they are sacrificing other things to make it affordable. It does have all the commuter trimmings, and hydraulic brakes.
That being said, I don't mind upgrading parts over time, the only thing original on my Gary Fisher after 12 years was the frame. So as long as the frame is good I am OK, I actually kept my titanium handlebars because they were too expensive to sell with the bike.

If you go this route you are committed because of the custom frame. By that I mean if I were to get an Alphine or even an Eviolo, I could change it out to a Rohloff later (although they aren't perfect either).

Thoughts? If I ordered a 600, it looks like I might be able to get one some time in August. Not great, but maybe it is worth the wait?

Thanks

-JCL