View Single Post
Old 07-03-17, 10:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6463 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 240 Posts
I can't recommend the Polar V650 any longer. Mine is bricked. The touch screen stopped working.

A hard reset didn't help. A reset to factory defaults took the device to the initial setup screen which requires the touch screen so I'm stuck.

I don't know if water is the cause but the device worked fine through a fast and rough gravel descent off a mountain in a torrential rainstorm, 1700 feet elevation loss over five miles. This was followed by another half hour in steady rain. The device synchronized when I got home, took a full charge and was put away. Two days later the touch screen would not respond.

At $169 and given the features, the Polar was an incredible value. There was one annoying synchronization bug but I've been very satisfied with the performance and hate to let it go.

Held my nose this morning and purchased a Garmin 820 at well over twice the price of the Polar. Paid retail at REI so that it can be returned if it fails.

-Tim-