Old 07-31-19, 06:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
As to what setup/hardware?
Surely it makes sense to look at what you want to bring and then figure out the best ways to carry it?
I don't know why this isn't always the first and most obvious answer. It is a way better approach than buying baggage and then filling it IMO.

Think long and hard about what you really need to carry. Go over the list over and over again eliminating the fat. Then actually assemble the gear into one place see how well it all packs. Work on compressing every thing. Remember that you do not need to carry much food or other consumables, better to buy daily or at least as close to daily as the remoteness of the trip allows.

Then figure out the best way to carry what you assembled.

Here are my thoughts on a overnight bike bag setup as well as additional hardware:

Obtain some fenders for front and back wheels
I thought that on my first big tour and added fenders. I found them more trouble than they were worth. I have since given up on them after using them on quite a few tours and mostly cursing them. I think that folks tend to think they need to go for things for touring that they don't use at home. A lot of them might be better assessed by whether you use them at home. I think that things like fenders and mirrors are often in that category. If you use them at home it is a slam dunk that you will want them on tour, but IMO if not I wouldn't add them just because it is a tour. Just me, but I'd advise doing what you are used to on stuff like that.

Last edited by staehpj1; 07-31-19 at 06:49 AM.