Old 11-04-19, 09:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Probably depends on rider weight too. I'm down to 150 and tires seem to last a long time now.

We have the usual Southern/Midwestern mix of some smooth asphalt, lots of chipseal, gravel, and busted up neglected urban infrastructure. Despite it all, I've had relatively few puncture flats without resorting to Gatorskins or comparable lead filled garden hose, and no tire failures.

For the past couple of years I've mostly used cheap Continental Ultra Sport II, 700x23 and x25, on my road bikes. Going on 4,000 miles with the 700x25 set, including lots of hours on the trainer. Only the first wear dimple is nearly worn down, remarkably little wear for the use. I'm more concerned about a few nicks and cuts, but only one or two of those resulted in punctures. So far no signs of avulsion, so I'll keep watching and riding 'em.

And around 2,000 on the 700x23. Very little wear, no nicks. Very few hours on the trainer with this set, mostly outdoor miles.

I got less than 1,000 miles on a set of Vittoria's cheapie Zaffiros before the rear showed significant wear and cuts. Lousy riding tires anyway. For the same price the Conti Ultra Sport II are far better.

And I had to retire a Schwalbe One V-Guard after around 1,500 miles. The tire wasn't worn out but it was cut to pieces. Fragile tires. But sweet riding while they lasted -- grippy, quick, light, good even at lower pressure. It performed exactly as the rolling resistance site tests indicated. Too bad Schwalbe discontinued that particular model. It was great for chasing PRs/KOMs, or faster group rides. Probably the closest thing I've ridden to a racing clincher. I kept the front tire as a spare lashed to the saddle bag on longer solo rides in rural areas. It was still in good shape.

And on one hybrid, around 5,000 miles on Continental SpeedRides. The shallow file tread pattern finally wore down on the rear tire contact patch but it's still good to ride. That hybrid also doubles as an errand bike and occasionally hauls up to 50 lbs on the rear rack. I'll replace it with the same tire. The SpeedRide is an outstanding all around tire.