Old 06-29-20, 02:35 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Hmmm... Perhaps it should be the start of a new thread, but you've got me wondering the same... Other than needing a new 12 speed cassette, new freehub (likely Micro-spline), new chain, maybe new chain rings, and *maybe* a new rear derailleur, one would think that a Di2 system could be firmware updated to go from 11 to 12 speed so those of use with the existing Di2 wouldn't need to sell a kidney to upgrade. However, we all know that such a firmware upgrade won't come from Shimano if Di2 does go 12 speed
I suspect you are right. Although, in the software world, companies moved away from selling the software outright to selling subscriptions. Don't get me wrong, I think having to have a subscription to make my group set (or power meter, or any other component) work would make me a mechanical guy forever. A subscription to ride my bike would be horrible. BUT, maybe there is an angle that I haven't thought of which expands their market, like a paid firmware update that gets you some basic upgrade to 12 or 13 from a previously bought 11 or 12, but new hardware would still come with other advantages (more bells and whistles, different gearing options, lighter, different aesthetic, speed of shifting, more integration, built in power, Garmin/Wahoo connectivity, etc). Some way for Shimano to sell new groupsets, but also upsell those who already have Di2? Hopefully we don't have to wait much longer to find out.