Old 06-29-20, 02:52 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Again, hadn't even thought about that one. As far as shifters go, I don't suppose there should be anything (beyond planned obsolescence) that would keep current 11 speed Di2 shifters from going to 12, should there? But then where is the market/profit for a new 13 speed group, or 12 speed update from 11 - charging for firmware updates?
I'll preface this by saying I know nothing about software programming or signal processing or whatever other tech goes into electronic shifting. BUT, it does seem to me like the shifter's only role in electronic systems is to say "up 1", "down 1" and, in the really advanced versions, "and another one." If a Di2 controller can be programmed to scroll through your garmin or activate your dropper post, it has to be able to say "hey look, there's an extra cog here!"

The obvious market/profit is in the same answers to the eternal online cycling forum question "What, other than shifters, do I need to upgrade my z-speed bike to z+1/z+2/z+3?" New chain, new cassette, new chainrings and front derailleur (though some will argue you can probably get by with the old ones, and someone's mechanic friend will swear they work just fine). The old RD might be useable, but possibly with upgraded jockey wheels/cage because of the new chain.