Old 02-12-18, 03:57 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Thanks for all the suggestions, and also for letting me know I'm not alone in this situation.

I've put together an 'easy' ride (about 20 miles with one difficult* climb - there is no such thing as a flat route around here) and may present it at the next club meeting as a possible OSD (Old, Slow, Decrepit) group ride. If the club okays it, the club insurance will cover everyone riding it. Riders could opt out of the climb and shorten the route by a little more than a mile if they wanted to. We'll see how that idea flys.

*the level of difficulty on this climb refers to the agony my body will go through accomplishing it.
I see from your profile you are around Boiling Springs, SC. I am close just to the east around York. Just a tad to far from you. I also ride a bit faster but I feel your pain.

I know there are several clubs over in that area, specifically the Freewheelers who sponser the Assault on Mt Mitchell.

Clubs can be funny and very depressing for those of us who can't keep up. Around the Charlotte area there is a website called Weekly Rides (dot com) that has all the local rides including group rides from a whole bunch of areas. Maybe there is something like that out your way where you can check any local rides.

Personally, I have not gone the club route as I have found them to be pretty clicky and I am not into playing games of who is faster etc. So, I have tended to stay away from formal club ride and have stuck to a few of the local weekly rides from the website along with riding my own loops.

Get into a local bike shop and ask them about any websites or local rides.

good luck...and I know very well the types of roads you are riding as I have ridden in that area. Tour de Peach rings a bell and runs out of Gaffney I believe.

john