View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 08:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Mine has a welded steel frame, and 5ins of suspension travel (fully compressed by a set of car wheels here). It's a bit large, at 3ft X 6ft, but very handy. Solid tyres, too.

The case for making your own is strong, if you're savvy with scrap parts.

I do a lot with kid's trailers. The only issue is that the foot area tends to hang down too far.

I do have a heavy duty homemade trailer that I use for big stuff, but generally wouldn't use it for the fishing trails.

I have a couple of different kid's trailers. The one above has the single sided wheel, and I'd consider it as light-duty.

I very much prefer the wrap-around frame and quick release wheels.

Hitches vary. The Burleys have good hitches. I'm not so excited about the typical spring hinges. And, anything that clamps to the chainstays will eventually wear through the paint.

I was worried about clamping under a quick release skewer, but so far I haven't had any problems. Perhaps I should bring a spare with me.

One of my favorite trailers is an older Schwinn/Instep version with the wrap around frame, welded steel or Aluminum, although I've got the trailer accidentally separated from me at the moment. I'll have one back in use shortly.

These Bike Friday Cargo trailers pop up every once in a while, and would make a good small utility trailer. The hitch is a airhose socket. Bike Friday does sell the adapters if not included.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/bop/d/...886617196.html

If you are doing any dirt trails, then consider a one-wheel trailer like the BOB trailers. A few different varieties are available.

https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/be...910074237.html

But, for general utility hauling, I've done well with two wheel trailers.