View Single Post
Old 10-24-17, 07:07 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fat bike BMX beach cruiser

My latest monstrosity - sorry, creation - is turning an old fat bike BMX into a beach cruiser.

Here's what I started with:

Sanded off most of the rust and repainted it; currently after 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of Rustoleum, and 3 coats of clear coat, it looks like this:
I wanted it a little rough, but might be stripping it down and starting over.

Still need to clean the wheels, maybe paint them:

(That's not a crack, just a blemish. Had to go doublecheck after looking at the pic.)

Nothing but the frame, fork, and wheels were usable. Got a black crankset, some decent pedals, and a chrome BMX stem to go on it, as well as the miscellaneous parts (chain, v-brakes, etc). Probably stick a cruiser saddle on it. I've ordered a tall layback seatpost so the only thing I haven't decided on is the handlebars.

This is similar to the look I'm going for (with several modifications):

The tallest affordable hangers I've found are 25" rise (just like the ones I put on my Mango):

But now that I'm going with a BMX style stem, I may want taller hangers.

So if anyone can offer advice, I've got 2 questions:
1. Painting rims - worth it? I assume similar to a bike frame: sand completely, primer, several coats of paint, and clear coat with plenty of time to cure.
2. Anyone know where I can get ridiculously tall hanger bars without selling my first born? I stumbled across a set of 32" hangers but they were $200 and I really didn't want to spend that kind of money on this project.