Old 02-17-18, 02:36 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Could it be that tire and/or rim manufacturing techniques and tolerances are better? I recall being able to mount a new Conti tire with only hands in the 90s and early 2000s. But in the past 10 years or more, I have to fight to get them on even using shop quality tire levers. Cursing. Once I got so pissed I took it to a local bike shop and had absolutely no shame at all paying another man to mount a tire for me.

Most recently, it took me over 30 minutes to mount the two Vittoria tires on my training wheels a couple of months ago. Hands were sore afterwards.
I had difficulty fitting Conti 4000 II tires on my Shimano Ultegra wheels (they are now tubed/tubeless capable) and installing tires on a fleet of track bikes.. My LBS owner showed me how to install tires, using a technique similar to how tubulars are installed, and I've never had a problem since. Also I use Vittoria ultralite inner tubes on my own bikes because when slightly inflated it has a small diameter.

Update: I searched YouTube and found this video - the first hint is basically the technique I described above.

Last edited by 700wheel; 02-17-18 at 02:54 PM.